Autograph Hound's Blah Blah Blog

Monday, April 2, 2012

The wife says I was flirting with Hank Haney’s wife

Hank Haney was in Frisco promoting his new book, The Big Miss. Since he has strong ties to the DFW area and Dallas is big on golfing I figured I’d show up earlier as I expected a large crowd.
1 ½ hours before the signing, I’m at the store and no one was waiting in line. I found a comfy seat with a great view of the signing table and waited. As the clocked ticked I notice one other person waiting. Like me, he found a comfy place to wait.
Now it’s a game of chicken. In general, you know you are going to be on your feet a long time. It’s a win, when you can avoid standing and still be near the front of the line.  So I sat and people watched and waited for someone to get in line.  At the 30 minute mark, my fellow hound got in line. I win.
I did not join him as no one else was in line. My feet appreciated not being forced to stand just to be second in line. About 10 minutes later people started queuing.  I got up and joined the line.
Hank Haney got there a few minutes late but he jumped right into shaking hands, chatting, and signing books.  I was close to the front of the line when a young lady dropped her pursed off at the table and took out her camera.  Yes, I checked her out. I’m a guy, I do things like that.  Hopefully I did it with class and sans drool. I figured she was a reporter or press photographer.
When it was my turn, I handed over my books and Hank thanked me for coming out to see him. The normal autograph even type stuff. He looked at my shirt and asked if I went to Arizona.  I smiled and said yes.  I don’t know much about Hank Haney but I thought he was local, so I said something like you – you didn’t go to the UofA did you?  He said no, but his wife did.
He pointed.  I looked. It’s the young ‘photographer’. I smiled and say hi and she came to meet me.  We started chatting and talking UofA.  Hank was totally forgotten as we compared places we’ve hung out, changes  to the campus, etc, etc, etc.  I think at the same time we both realized we weren’t there to meet each other and we turned back to Hank. He had a smile on his face as I apologized for ignoring him.  He gave pleasant laugh and said ‘I’d ignore me too, if she was around.’
I gathered my books and shook he hand a second time and said goodbye to his wife and fellow alumni. 
So my wife thinks I was flirting. As you can see, it was just innocent chatting with someone else that matriculated from Arizona.

AH

1 comment:

  1. I'm disappointed by the lack of pictures of the wife...

    ReplyDelete