Autograph Hound's Blah Blah Blog

Monday, March 17, 2014

Richard Dreyfuss Sci Fi Expo 2014

In a perfect world, even though I got a late start on Sci Fi Expo, I would have been able to finish on Saturday.  It’s not a perfect word and I was back on Sunday.  In a perfect world, I would have gotten 3 autographs in 2 hours or less.  Proving again it’s not a perfect world, it took over 5 hours.

As I mentioned, Allison’s line was slow. But I’m so glad I got her signature as she was a sweetie.

Since Richard Dreyfuss was on the same floor I got in his line next.  He wasn’t at the table. I stood in line anyway.  Since there were about 30 people in front of me, I knew this was as short as the line would be all day.  I knew when he returned, the line would only grow.

I knew he was signing slowly.  In fact, I had hung out with a friend the day before and we never moved in the 30 minutes we chatted.

I got in line and played Words with Friends for about 20 minutes before he showed. He had just finished with a photo op and was energetic.  He stopped in front of us and asked us to shout: Nazi Bastards! several times.  Not sure what was up with that.  It did get the energy level in the crowd up.

 Because this show sold VIP badges, those people got to go first.  About 30 minutes of VIP holders matriculated.  Then a few of the common people worked their way to the table and a few more VIPs entered. 

About 30 minutes into signing, he had the line shout; Nazi Bastards, again.

Richard literally spent a minute or more with each person.  He wasn’t rushing.  He let you speak and he spoke back.

The most of the items he signed were Jaws related. Someone has a stuffed toy shark. Another brought a yellow barrel like the ones they attached to the shark to wear him out.  I can’t imagine carrying that around all day. And lot of movie posters were signed.

I know Dreyuss more from Close Encounters of the Third Kind.  He had several photos to choose from and I liked this one most.  While there was a mash potato mountain photo, it was in black and white.  I should have thought ahead and printed one off.

When I was about 5 or 6 people from the front, I looked up from my Words With Friends and noticed another of my fellow Hounds.  Time would have passed so much quicker if I looked up earlier.

After an 1 ½ hours, I got my photo signed.  He smiled, shook my hand and asked if I wanted it personalized.  I know we exchanged a few more words but can’t remember.  I was charmed.

AH

No comments:

Post a Comment