Autograph Hound's Blah Blah Blog

Monday, December 26, 2016

Eric Idle and John Cleese Majestic 2016


I enjoy Monty Python.  I must admit, I enjoy their movies much more than their TV Series. On the TV show, I just couldn’t understand ¼ of what they were saying because of the accents. Also there was very local references that meant nothing to a 13 year old kid living in Jersey that knew nothing of US politics yet alone British politics.

Monty Python and the Holy Grail is by far my favorite. I also greatly enjoyed John Cleese in ‘A Fish Called Wanda’ and I was a fan of Eric Idle and the Rutles. The chance of getting their autographs when these two came to Dallas to perform their 2 man show was too great to miss.


As is often the case, I got there too late for a signing before the show.  So I waited.  I was later joined by fellow hounds that had gotten some autographs earlier.  They gave me the 411 about no selfies, only one autograph per person, and expect the photo to be personalized.

Once the show was over, the crowd swelled to 25 or 30 people waiting.  Eric Idle stepped out first.  He walked straight to me and signed.  John Cleese started signing a moment later but on the other side of the sidewalk.

As John finished signing for fans on the far side, he started to step into his car.  Fans from my side shouted for his attention.  He paused and slowly made his way over to us.  As he signed my photo, he did comment that he really liked it. Yeah me. 

Curiously, while they still didn’t do selfies, they were signing multiples for people and not personalizing. Again, this was a win for me.  I prefer not to have the name on the item. At some time, the wife will need sell off all of this stuff to pay for my wake. My name on the collection will not help her sell it.

As they both worked the crowd, a woman about 45 – 50 years old was crying.  She was trying to explain how much it meant seeing them both.  After moment, John just said, ‘quit your blubbering and out with it.  We aren’t that important’.  It was funny and very Monte Python. And I understood what he said.

AH

No comments:

Post a Comment