Autograph Hound's Blah Blah Blog

Thursday, May 26, 2011

SDCC letter of the day C for Camera

This is a no brainer.  Bring your camera and some extra batteries.
Make sure you know how to use your camera so you don’t miss something.  Also it’s nice to be quick so others can get there turn. I don’t know how often I see someone taking a minute or longer to snap a shot. I don’t know if they are working to perfection or just having a hard time.
I have ruined a lot of shots because my settings were off.  I didn’t change the setting but while the camera was in my backpack the knob got turned and I never realized it.  Know the camera and what the settings should be.

You don’t need a $1000 camera but I would recommend something more than a cell phone camera. I know the smart phone cameras have gotten better and take good photos.  Just be aware of their limits.
The only times I know of that you can’t photo/tape something is in Hall H. Usually that’s the movie previews and the studios want to control the distribution of the material.

So keep your camera ready and snap away.
I find the best time to take photos of the props on the floor is just as the convention is closing for the day. Elite Security is chasing people out and the crowds have thinned.  I bring the camera out and can quickly move from display to display and booth to booth to take my pictures without people in the way.
The people doing cosplay love to pose. Many times you don’t even have to say a word, just lift the camera and they will stop.  Remember to say thank you.  They have places to be and people to see too.
If you are in a long line, keep the camera handy. The coplayers will pass you- how easy is that?
The concourse just outside of the exhibition floor is also a good area to see people dressed up and again with little effort.

If you want to be more proactive, hang out in the Sails Pavilion. The lighting is great and people are constantly walking through the Sails Pavilion.  That includes the cosplayers.  See Batman?  I bet a Cat Woman will show up. When she does, you will be able to get both in a photo.   This even happens with larger groups too.  3 or 4 people dress up as half the cast of some manga and another 3 or 4 other kids dress up as the other half. They see each other and start reenacting fight scenes for the crowd.

Saturday Night is the masquerade. Most costumes are elaborate. During the intermission the contestants will come out and pose.  And if you miss Saturday night, a lot of the contestants will wear their costume Sunday morning.
So bring your camera and batteries and enjoy the scenery.

AH

No comments:

Post a Comment