Autograph Hound's Blah Blah Blog

Thursday, December 15, 2011

Penn and Teller SDCC 2010

The first time I got Penn and Teller’s autographs was unplanned.
Over 20 years ago I dragged my wife to see them at the Majestic in Dallas and after the show we saw them out front signing for everyone and anyone.  The autograph sickness hadn’t taken hold of me then so I wasn’t prepared and I had them sign the ticket stubs for the show.
Where I put them for safekeeping worked so well, I am unable to find them 20 years later.  We have moved twice since them so I’m sure those autographs are long gone.
When I saw that they were going to do a performance at SDCC I knew I could get them to sign and I knew what I wanted them to sign.
Back in 1989 they published a book called Penn and Teller’s Cruel Tricks for Dear Friends. Since I worked at a book store I bought a copy and I got a nice employee discount too.  I read the book and enjoyed it and I kept is over the years.  It’s not in mint shape but it’s in nice enough shape to get signed.
So I dragged this book from Texas to San Diego and carried it with me all day because I knew I wouldn’t have time to go back to the hotel.  I had hoped to actually get into the show.  It’s so much nice to pass the time being entertained and sitting then being bored and standing.  After working through the queue for close to an hour and being within 30 people from the front, the line was cut off and I was told to go home.
While in line I had the Paul McCartney/ Wings conversation with a pair of teenage girls. You know that old urban myth, right?  Some young bubble gum fan was at a Wings concert and asked  incredulously, Paul had a band BEFORE Wings?
Well, I had that discussion about Penn and Teller.  All they knew of Penn and Teller was the show on Showtime. They had no clue Penn and Teller were magicians and they have been around longer than those teens were alive.  I tell you, youth today…
Did I leave?  Of course not. I had a good hunch Penn and Teller would sign after the show.  So I waited. And waited. And waited some more. They put on a long show.
Then the final round of applause and the doors opened and the crowds exited.  I stood and looked out over the crowd and tried not to feel like a Salmon.   
After 15 minutes I saw Penn walking out with some security and they formed a ring around him. I opened my book and held out my pen and approached him in hallway before he got out to the crowd.  Security and Penn were not on the same page. Penn pulled a Sharpie out of his pocket and I moved closer. Security started telling me with some emphasis to move back. I asked for an autograph and Penn said sure, loud enough for security to relent.  I thanked him and got out his way and then he entered the area with dozen of fans swarmed him.  I didn’t feel back for his security.
Teller exited a few minutes later but he was being interviewed by someone and was just moseying along. I approached the same way, with the book open and pen out. He also pulled out his own pen and he paused to look at the book but didn’t say anything. He signed and I thanked him.
The oddest thing was listening to him speak. He is the silent partner in the act and I never heard him before. It was like a Mickey taking his head off at Disney land. I saw a little of the curtain being pealed back.
After a long day at SDCC and along night waiting for Penn and Teller, I got my autograph and made my way back to the trolley station to take the 30 minute ride back to the hotel and get some sleep before I started a new day at ComicCon.

AH

No comments:

Post a Comment