Autograph Hound's Blah Blah Blog

Friday, June 15, 2018

Russ Tamblyn and George Chakiris Chiller Theater April 2018


While I had the earworm of ‘Ramble On’ playing in my head most of the day, it was interrupted with ‘I feel Pretty’ and ‘Jet Song’ from West Side Story.  That occurred when I got in line for Russ Tamblyn and George Chakiris.  While both actors have a long career as actors, they are most remembered as Riff and Bernardo.

The line was slow. Russ was spending a lot of time with his fans.  The negative of this was the same people that wanted to see him, wanted to also see George. So George’s line was empty.

After 30 minutes in line, we were told the actors had a panel and we needed to come back. This was frustrating as it was getting late in the day and I was the next person in line.  I was given a ticket and I was number 1. While I was disappointed, when I returned, it would be quick.

When I got back to the room after the panel, they had the people with the tickets lined against the wall. That line was not arranged numerically. So the 30 people that were behind me were now in front of me. I asked the volunteer managing the line where the front of the line was. I was trying to be polite and not just jump to the head of the queue. She looked at me oddly.  She pointed to the back of the line. I said I had number 1, so I should be the first in line.  Again, I got an odd look. She said they got here before me. I paused. I knew I was looking ‘whiney’ but I calmly said, why give numbers if we were just going to reshuffle? I could have just stayed where I was so I wouldn’t lose my place. And yes, I got another odd look. Then she said loudly so the line so could here: you expected to put you at the front of the line? And I nodded yes and said I was given the number 1. The crowd laughed. I went to the back of the line.

This illustrates some of the cultural differences between Back East and Texas.

I got both Russ and George after another 30 minutes.  Russ has started moving quicker or other people were tired of waiting and not engaging him as much.

AH

No comments:

Post a Comment