Autograph Hound's Blah Blah Blog

Wednesday, May 27, 2020

Ozzie Smith Houston 1998


More Mr. Peabody and the WABAC trips…

Since the National was in Chicago in 98, this must have been a TriStar event in Houston.

When I handed over my ball, Ozzie Smith looked up. He saw my UofA shirt.  He mentioned a good friend of his went to Arizona.  I asked who and he said Terry Francona.  Ozzie asked me if I knew him. Nope, I never met hm. His minor league career started before I enrolled.  Although the dorm I lived in was across the street from baseball stadium, I never saw him play. However, he was the current manager of the Phillies and I was excited about that.

Ozzie and I chatted for a moment or two longer. Much like Steve Carlton, he wanted to say a few things and the handlers were trying to shoo me off. I was willing to leave as others were still in line but Ozzie didn’t let them.

I don’t remember the details of our conversation but I KNOW I must have mentioned I saw him at the All-Star Game in Philly. It was Ozzie’s last year playing.  My parents got me tickets to the game and The Wife and I sat in the nose bleed section of The Vet. It was awesome!

AH

No comments:

Post a Comment