Autograph Hound's Blah Blah Blog

Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Wizard World Austin 2011

This was the second year I attend Wizard World in Austin.  I must admit I enjoyed it as much this year as last. There was a broad range of celebrities, artists, and vendors.
This show was a Buffy bonanza with James Marsters, Charisma Carpenter, Mercedes McNabb, Juliet Landau, and James Charles Leary.
But don’t forget about the Wonka kids – Julie dawn Cole, Paris Themmen, and Peter Ostrum.
The two largest names were Adam Baldwin and Hayden Panettiere; both having long lines for signatures and photos ops.
I picked up Adrienne Wilkinson who looked so posh with her 1920’s era hat. She was friendly and quiet at the same time.
I didn’t recognize Nicki Clyne with short blonde hair and a smile.  She was always so dour on BatttleStar but she willingly talked places and events in NYC where she resides.
Jake Lloyd and Edward Furlong signed and Daniel Logan kept calling me boss in his infectiously energetic way. All three have grown up and you need to do a double take to recognize them.
I got Kevin Sorbo to sign his book, True Strength. We chatted about the last time I saw him. I didn’t take much of his time as he had a line and he always made time for everyone.  
If you want a great tip, attend the show on Friday to get your autographs.  Even after 7PM, the crowd is light and you can get quality time with the celebrities and not feel rushed.  While not everyone is there, most of the celebrities do show up on Friday.  This will make for a shorter grocery list on Saturday and allow you more time to wander. 
Also with the smaller crowds on Friday, the vendors are more willing to chat (haggle) and you have a better selection.
I don’t know if it’s an Austin thing or because there was a Costume Contest but a nice portion of the crowd was cosplaying.   This show also boasted a nice selection of fan groups.  I’ve not seen as large a selection except at SDCC.
I must say I’m glad I attended and look forward to what Wizard World Presents next year.
AH

1 comment:

  1. It was a nice show, enjoyed it, will go back if there is somebody that interest me.

    ReplyDelete