Autograph Hound's Blah Blah Blog

Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Laura Nummerroff If You Give a Dog a Donut

It’s Halloween and I rushed through Dallas rush hour traffic to make the signing in time. I needed to get there fast and get out fast so I could travel an even longer distance home. I didn’t want to miss any Trick or Treaters.
The signing was at 5PM. Even though it was inconvenient, it made sense.  The signing’s not for me. It’s for the fans of Laura Numeroff  who are ages 2 to 6 years old. They would be out well past their bed times if this was held at the normal time.  Also the kids still needed to do their Trick or Treating.
I arrived well after 5PM. I can tell there was a reading as I saw the mats on the floor in a semi-circle. The Q&A is over although Laura spent time with every child and mom. While the kids were ready to leave the moms were excited about the new book, If You Give a Dog a Donut.
If you haven’t read any of the ‘If You’ books, they are cute.  And if I call it cute, there really are cute.  Cute is not a word I bandy around when it comes to kids.  Remember, I served a sentence of too many years on the retail front lines to have any delusions of the inherent cuteness of kids.
At this point the line was fairly short. I pulled out my camera and took a photo. The mom (I’m the only man in the bookstore) in front of me turned and quickly checked my wedding ring before she gushed about how great a dad I must be to do this.  I let her know I don’t have kids. Her smile brighten because now I’m the perfect Uncle. Oy Vay.
Just as I got to the front of the line, a little one came running up to get her to sign. He butted in line – just in front of me.  Surprisingly I accepted the delay like an adult and I smiled.  Then I was rewarded.
The little one brought a copy of her first book, If You Give a Mouse a Cookie. Laura leaned over the table and whispered conspiratorially, do you want to know a secret?  The child nodded. I nodded too.  Laura opened the booked to the pages with the classroom filled with kids. She pointed to a child sitting at a desk and said that was a drawing of her when she was in school. I peered past the kid to make sure I saw which child she meant.  Laura said the artist found a picture of her as a child and then added her to the classroom.
Can you keep a secret?  So can I.  And I won’t share at which child she pointed.
So, if you let a child cut in line, you get a chance to learn a secret.
AH

No comments:

Post a Comment