Autograph Hound's Blah Blah Blog

Wednesday, August 7, 2013

Scott Westerfled #SDCC 2013

Out of the mouth of babes…well, not quite. 

My boss had her son at work. He stopped by and started telling me about a book he was reading. He went into great detail. He easily spent 15 minutes on the plot and the characters and the backstory.  The book really entertained him.  The book was Uglies by Scott Westerfeld.

A week before SDCC, I’m doing my research and I’m checking out the Mysterious Galaxy website. They always have a nice selection of authors that sign at their booth. I always end up stopping by.  I always end up buying a book and getting it signed.  So I’m always interested with who they will have at their booth.

This year they were having Scott Westerfeld. The author I had never heard of until my boss’s little one decided to bend my ear and clue me in on this New York Times Best Selling author.  This immediately made my ‘to do’ list.  I figured I can get a copy for myself and the boss’s son.

Thursday, I found the Mysterious Galaxy booth and stood in the short line. I told the staff that I wanted to buy a couple of books from the Uglies series and they gave a t-shirt for each one I bought.  Sadly, this was the best swag I got the whole show.

When Scott Westerfeld signed the books, I had to tell him why I was there: because a young man decided to talk to me and tell me about this book/world he was reading.  Scott nodded appreciatively.  You could tell he wondered if he should say anything.  It’s an odd story to relate and it was ComicCon, so you never knew who was coming out of the woodwork.  I knew that look and I knew it was time to go. I smoothly said my goodbyes and left.

When I got back to work, I gave my boss a signed book and a t-shirt.  A few days later, the young one appeared in my cube and asked if I was busy.  I stopped and turned to face him. He formally thanked me.  We chatted a little more and then he formally stuck his out his hand.  Trying not to laugh, I took his hand and we shook. I thought it was a great gesture. It was only funny because it was so formal.  I tried to share the credit and told the young man that if he didn’t tell me about the book, I would have missed this opportunity.  He nodded but I’m not sure if he understood.

Just then my boss came by and rescued him.  It’s hard for little ones to hang out with adults; especially adults they don’t know.   I really do think he needs to share the credit for talking to me and letting me know about this author.

AH

 

No comments:

Post a Comment