Autograph Hound's Blah Blah Blog

Thursday, November 7, 2013

David Brin LoneStarCon 3

Although David Brin can be long winded and dominate a conversion, I really do like him. I found his sci fi books fresh and well written.  He does have charisma and can hold you attention while he talks non-stop.  Hell, my wife even likes him and she doesn’t read sci fi.

As I spent my Saturday at WorldCon standing in lines for signatures, I saw David Brin walk thought he autograph line several times. He chatted with fellow authors and some fans. He’s sociable.

The turn out for him was large. While the line didn’t move slowly, it wasn’t a blur either. He talked with everyone, whether it was a few sentences or a few paragraphs. As I said, he’s sociable.

I’ve gotten Brin before. Many years ago, he signed a copy of The Postman for me. This time I brought him a copy of Kiln People.  It’s a good murder mystery involving clones.  I read it while I was recovering from some minor surgery. It was exactly what I needed to keep my mind off work and the fact I was stuck in bed for a while.

When I got to the front, he asked if I wanted my name in it. I said the standard: just the signature. He looked disappointed.  He had something in mind; a clever little phrase from the book that he wanted to add to his signature.  He asked if he could add that. I nodded my consent.  When you read the book, the ’Be Many’ will make more sense.

His line was still long and he was scheduled to end soon.  He stayed late but I’m not sure how late as I was off to another signing.

AH

No comments:

Post a Comment