Autograph Hound's Blah Blah Blog

Tuesday, September 8, 2020

Beatle Bits and the belt buckle

If you knew me in high school and college, besides my beautiful brown eyes, winning smile, hair down to my shoulders (not knees) you would remember one thing about me: my Beatles belt buckle.

As the family realized I was the throes of Beatlemania albeit a decade late, they learned to accept it. One sign of acceptance was a small present my Dad gave me. It was out of the blue and not related to my birthday or Christmas.


At one of the many car shows Dad attended (much like me and ComicCons), he saw a brass belt buckle that caught his eye. He bought and gave it to me. I wore it every day until The Wife convinced me it was not ‘professional’ and if I wanted a ‘grown up’ job, I should only wear it away from work.

It was brass. Not too large but not timid. I would polish it and it caught the light. This quiet shy nerdy kid would walk into a room and be noticed. I know it was unique because every time I went to a record shop to add another Beatles album to my collection, someone would offer to buy it from me or offer to trade the buckle for the album in my hand.  I always refused. This was a gift from my DAD. He saw this belt buckle and instead of continuing on his way, he stopped and bought it.

After 3 or 4 offers, I mentioned it to Dad. I was trying to convey how proud I was to have that belt buckle and how coveted it was. He had a different view. He told me to take the money. He could get another. I was shocked. This was a cherished procession. 45 years later, I still have that belt buckle.

AH

No comments:

Post a Comment