Autograph Hound's Blah Blah Blog

Monday, October 5, 2020

Beatle Bits Lennon’s murder

 I learned about John Lennon’s death the next morning, Dec 9th. my me, the alarm went off and I turned the radio on to WMMR. I heard ‘Give Peace a Chance’. I noted that was odd and snoozed for 10 minutes. When the alarm went off again, Give Peace Chance was still playing. I knew something was wrong with the world.


I turned on the small Black and White TV in my bedroom and wondered if the Cold War got Hot. I soon learned John Lennon was murdered in NYC. Did I grieve for him or Yoko? No. My sorrow was about the pain of  The Beatles were now no more. All hopes of a reunion concert or recording another album were done. I was a typical self-centered 17 year old.

I sat with my head in hand and turned my face to the TV. Stunned, I watched the news and listened to the radio at the same time. Piecing together the story; I was dull and far away.

I heard my dad leave for work, my sister getting ready for school as I sat in self-pity. I would never see The Beatles in concert.  I briefly thought about skipping classes. I thought about driving to NYC. I thought a lot of things and just gave up to momentum and habits. I showered, breakfasted, and went to school. Very ‘chop wood carry water’ of me.

All I did that morning was flip my belt over. My iconic Beatles belt buckle was now upside down. A small symbolic gesture of my sadness. A subtle nod to the event.  I knew the Tom Petty, Genesis, and Skynyrd fans that populated my school would be oblivious to anything outside of their bubbles.

In my English class, the cute blonde not so quietly told me my belt was on upside down.  I paused. Debated saying anything and just nodded in acknowledge like the good nerd I was.  I sat in my own thoughts as the teacher mentioned Lennon’s death. People nodded and mumbled about hearing that.  Then he explained the belt buckle was my way of showing respect.  I got a few sideways glances and knew I dropped even lower on the nerd scale. At least the teacher got the intent.

AH

No comments:

Post a Comment