Autograph Hound's Blah Blah Blog

Tuesday, September 1, 2020

Beatle Bits - Rock ‘N’ Roll Music

I had buddies in college that were big Stones and Who fans. They would give me grief that The Beatles weren’t a rock band. I never understood that. Music evolves and what was ‘rock’ in ‘63 wasn’t rock in ’70 but The Beatles always rocked out.

My gateway to The Beatles was the commercial for the compilation album Rock ’n’ Roll Music in 1976.  Just from the snippets in the commercial, I was getting wonderful ear worms and I needed to hear more. After begging, my parents made it a birthday gift.


As I played the album, I realized I never really listened to music. What music did filter down to me wasn’t nearly as exciting or dynamic as what was on this album.  The horns on Got to Get You Into My Life are epic. The covers of Twist and Shout, Rock and Roll Music, and Roll Over Beethoven are electric.

This album officially converted me to a Beatles Fan. My earworms were held at bay as I feasted on this awesome music…until I learned they had even more music out there.

To my college buddies, listen to this album and tell me again, The Beatles aren’t a Rock group.

AH

No comments:

Post a Comment