Autograph Hound's Blah Blah Blog

Monday, May 9, 2022

Dallas Comic Show April 2022

My Brother in Law (BiL) was in town. Did you know I had a BiL? I knew I had one. I don’t see him often. So it’s not surprising you didn’t know.

Ah, I hear you ask, why was he in town? Because the Sister in Law was in town. I’m sure that answers all of the questions, huh?  I have no idea why she was in town. I found it best to not ask too many questions.

While they were in town (along with their daughter), we did the local touristy things you do when relatives are in town. Yes, that means, I dragged the BiL to the Dallas Comic Show in Lewisville.  I told him it would be a quick side trip.  If I took more than 30 minutes, I’m was doing something wrong. (I’m sure the promotors of the show HATE to hear that. They want me there for hours and spending lots of money.)


As we walked in, I saw Diane Salinger walking away from her table. I mentioned to the BiL, she was one of the people I wanted. I guess she heard me as she did a 180 and we ended up walking back the table together.

Can I admit, I totally forgot about the BiL? I just abandoned him in a strange Mall and in a strange land of Nerds.  He was surrounded by people that probably could name every MCU movie in order but couldn’t make change for a dollar as they only use Venmo.  

I became hyper focused on obtaining my autographs. All else blurred into the background.  There was nothing else…

Yes, my name is AH and I am an autograph addict…

But back to the story…Diana and I arrived at her table together. I knew she wanted to be on break. I didn’t want to take up her time. I scanned the photos she had laid out. And choose the one from Deep Space Nine. I paid for the autograph and she signed. When she was done, I mentioned the TV show Salem. She had a minor re-occurring character. She asked if I liked it. I loved it. She mentioned it was fun but it was odd that it was on WGN. It was more of a cable type show. I agreed.


Next up was Aaron Schwartz. As with most kid actors, he didn’t look the same all grown up. He was friendly.

Lastly, I got John Morris. And if Aaron didn’t look as expected, then there was no way that John would be recognized. He was the voice of Andy from the Toy Story moves. That’s right, he did NOT look like a cartoon.

Then I was done. Just shy of 15 minutes. My hyper focus faded and I remembered I had abandoned the BiL to the wilds of a comiccon. I looked around the immediate area. No BiL.

I didn’t want to move too quickly incase he was looking for me. So I stood where I was for a minute. Just looking for the Lost BiL. I knew there would be hell to pay if I came home with less people then I went out with.


I slowly ventured in the vendor area. Checking each person in each booth. As I got deeper into the convention, I worried that maybe he wandered off.  However, before I had to call The Wife and explain that her Sister was now a widow, I saw the BiL talking to a t-shirt guy about his wares.

I exhaled deeply. I hadn’t realized I was holding my breathe. As I causally sauntered over, the BiL looked up with a smile. I figured it was best to act like nothing had happened. I don’t think he even noticed that he was lost and no one could find him. That was for the better. If he mentioned anything on the ride home, we would stop to get ice cream to keep him quiet.

AH

No comments:

Post a Comment