Autograph Hound's Blah Blah Blog

Friday, January 4, 2013

Peter F Hamilton SDCC 2012

I haven’t read anything by Peter F Hamilton but that doesn’t mean I don’t know who he is.  When I saw he was going to be signing at the Random House/Del Rey booth I knew I wanted to be there.
The line was short which only the booth did a bad job advertising.  I knew he was from overseas and asked if I’d see him at WorldCon which was in 6 weeks.  I wasn’t going to WorldCon but it was a conversation starter.  He said no as it’s hard to travel with family.  After a few more pleasantries I left.
 I went up the Sails Pavilion and walked around for a few minutes. I was hoping that some unannounced celeb might be signing. No luck. It was close to lunch time so I found an empty seat and enjoyed a few minutes off my feet.
As I was pulling out a power bar I looked around the table and noticed I was sitting with Peter Hamilton. We nodded to each other.  I could tell he knew me from somewhere but didn’t realize it was from a line only 10 minutes earlier.
I didn’t say anything. I just ate and rested. Then someone else joined him.  They started talking business.  That was a treat. They exchanges ideas and expectations and deadlines.
I slowly chewed my lunch. I pretended to review the program schedule and hoped it wasn’t too obvious I was listening in.  Since I really did have other places to go I didn’t heard everything. I soon packed up and nodded to Peter as I left.
I got to eavesdrop on a working writer and see how some things are done. I’m sure much of Hollywood or the literature world is like this but it was different from how I do my job. For me it was fun to be a fly on the wall.
AH

No comments:

Post a Comment