Autograph Hound's Blah Blah Blog

Monday, August 18, 2014

SDCC Wednesday and Thursday recap 2014

The wife and I had an uneventful trip to San Diego, which is a good thing. My luggage even made it too - another story for another time.

We were able to check into our foofoo hotel (where we’ve been for the last 3 years) about 1PM.   We do like the hotel even though it is expensive. The location is awesome. There is a 7-11 on the corner and a CVS and Rite-Aid across the street.  The trolley is down the block and the convention shuttle is around the corner.  A few celebs stay there too.


Because Kae, the wife, didn’t have preview night ticket, she had to get her badge at a different location than me.  She was a trooper and took the trolley by herself while I went to the convention center. I was done much sooner than her and I just hung out and scoured the program guide looking for autograph opportunities.


Kae did join me after a short while. We hung out together as we waited for my friends to join us.  While waiting, I got to see my favorite bag lady, Amanda, who always makes awesome dresses from the WB bags that are handed out. It was good to catch up with her. The best part was my wife finally got to meet her. Over the years, I’m sure Amanda thought Kae was a figment of my imagination.


Once my friends got to the convention center we all walked around outside to see the things we’d never see once the show started. We walked past the Assassin’s Creed obstacle course and we saw where the Gotham zip line was.

Once the doors opened, we entered.  Kae went back to the hotel and rested.  It had been a long day.  My friends and I hung out for a while but we each had things to do that the others were not interested in so we parted ways.  I got home about 8:30 PM or so.


Thursday I woke at 4:30 AM and got in line about 5:30 AM. 

While Thursday had some success, SDCC is an emotional rollercoaster.  I failed to get a winning ticket from WB (I have a bad track record there). I wanted Mad Max and missed. At Fox, I wanted Legends and missed.   So the morning was a double punch to the gut: ‘ug ugh’.  Later that day, I thought I knew what I was doing for Jack Black but it was also ticketed and I missed out on that.


Aisha Tyler, Diana Gabaldon, Todd McCaffrey, and Leprechaun?  Strike, 1, 2, 3, and 4.  It happens.  It’s a marathon and not a sprint.

The wife surprised me with a Subway for lunch.  I NEVER have a real meal at SDCC.  I’m too busy zooming from here to there.  I’ll usually eat a protein bar on the march.  It was fun to sit. It was nice to chat. It was great to have good food. And since I missed out on so many opportunities, I had some spare time to actually eat.  It really was a nice change.

The day ended with me attending 2 panels. That's something I haven't done in years.  Kae and I saw most of the Hannibal paneI and all of the Penny Dreadful panel. The panels were very entertaining until they opened the questions up to the audience. Then the panels became a train wreck of inane questions.

Overall, it was a good day of getting autographs and doing what you do at SDCC.

AH

2 comments:

  1. Even with all the misses it sounds like a great time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Daniel, exactly - even with the misses it was great. More hits and misses coming up too.

      Delete