Autograph Hound's Blah Blah Blog

Friday, May 25, 2018

Wallace Shawn – Fan Expo Dallas 2018


First, let me say, I love seeing Wallace Shawn on Young Sheldon.

Second, Princess Bride, as I have said many times before, was a wonderful surprise.  The Wife literality dragged me to the theater. I did not want to see a ‘chick flick’ and I made no bones about it. I am so glad she was persistent.


Third, I’m going to gripe about the line.  On Saturday I spent about 40 minutes in line before he needed to take a break. I do not begrudge him a break.  I moved on to other things. Then later, I had about 2 hours before the Ben Affleck signing and I joined Wallace’s line with about 50 people in front of me. After 90 minutes I was still about 20 people from the front and I gave up.

Sunday I got in Wallace’s line after Jodi Benson.  I was in line about an hour.  He needed to do a photo op or a panel or maybe both.  They gave the people in line numbers so we could do other stuff and come back. We would be the ‘first’.  Okay, that is nice and friendly. I was number 20 or so.  I went and sat and I think I ate a protein bar.  When I got back, they queued us up in numerical order. That was nice too.

When he returned the molasses like line started flowing. It did not help that the VIPs attendees kept filtering in.  They have that privilege with their badges. They paid extra for that. It is just a beating to have invested so much time to see new people added to the line in front of you.

If a fellow hound had not asked me to get his item signed, I would have given up. Even though this is great practice for SDCC, there is such a thing as overkill.  When my marathon ended and I was in front of Wallace, I got a big smile from him. He seemed excited to see me. As I’m sure he was with each fan.

I handed over my buddy’s item first. It had several signatures from Princess Bride on it already.  Wallace asked about those. He seemed impressed my buddy had gotten Carl Reiner and Carol Kane. After he signed, I handed over my photo. To be truthful, I really wanted a quote added: Never go in against a Sicilian when death is on the line!

By this time, I just wanted this to be over. I was ready to go home. I did not ask for the quote. He signed and I turned and left for the day.

AH

No comments:

Post a Comment